Rank: # 1
Market Cap: $ 373,640,613,078
Volume (24hrs): $ 41,201,678,277
Circulating Supply: 19,163,756 BTC
Price in BTC: Ƀ 1.00000000
Change (1 Hr): 0.10%
Change (7 Days): 4.90%
Change (30 Days): -4.23%
All Time High: $ 69,045.00
All Time High Date: November 10, 2021
- Historical Data
- Kazakhstan ready to legalize crypto as Russians flock to the countryCointelegraph.com News - 21 minutes agoA major bank in Kazakhstan has completed its first purchase of crypto for fiat and the president is ready to approve exchange activities. Kazakhstan is…
- Ethereum Merge was 'executed flawlessly,' says Starkware co-founderCointelegraph.com News - 1 hour agoStarkware co-founder Eli Ben-Sasson told Cointelegraph that none of the things that people feared about the Merge happened, and everything happened as it should. As…
- Bitcoin price skirts $19.3K amid fear over ‘mother of all rug pulls’Cointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoVolatility has yet to make an appearance on hourly timeframes as the clock ticks down to the September close. Bitcoin (BTC) traders lay in wait…
- APR vs. APY: What’s the difference?Cointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoThe key difference between APY and APR is compound interest. Before investing, compare their potential returns. APR vs. APY: Which is better?The APY provides a…
- UAE Ministry of Economy opens up new headquarters in the MetaverseCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoThe UAE Ministry of Economy continues its push into the Metaverse with the announcement of a “third address” located in a virtual world. The United…
What is Bitcoin?
Bitcoin is the first decentralized cryptocoin ever built on top of a blockchain. It was created by an anonymous person or group of people with the nickname Satoshi Nakamoto in 2009 as an open source project.
To understand the Bitcoin blockchain we can imagine a book, where each page number contains a signature that can validate the content of that page and its previous one. This signature is computed by an algorithm known as SHA-256 and cannot be reversed. In other words we can calculate the A-256 signature from some content, but we can’t get content if we know its SHA-256 signature. Back to the example with the book: if we tear out a page from the book, we can easily understand that a page is missing. The same is with adding an inexistent page. All the pages are copied between members of the chain, and this is why the Bitcoin Blockchain is considered a distributed network.
Bitcoin is an open source project maintained by a developer team with over 580 active contributors. The code of the chain is available on Github. The main purpose of Bitcoin was decentralized but trusted, low fee money transactions between people and businesses around the world. Nowadays over 100.000 vendors accept Bitcoin for payments. And there are between 2.9 and 5.8 million unique users who actively use Bitcoin cryptocurrency wallets. The price of Bitcoin can be very volatile due to speculation and has changed in the past more than +/-20% during a single.
Top 10 Cryptocurrencies
- 20.034,32 €
- $ 19,454.21