Rank: # 8
Market Cap: $ 13,302,670,907
Volume (24hrs): $ 682,538,515
Circulating Supply: 137,217,376,384 DOGE
Price in BTC: Ƀ 0.00000576
Change (1 Hr): 0.12%
Change (7 Days): -9.90%
Change (30 Days): -12.68%
All Time High: $ 0.731578
All Time High Date: May 8, 2021
- Historical Data
- FTX's Bankman-Fried to face market manipulation probe, Do Kwon chimes inCointelegraph.com News - 1 hour agoAs part of a broader inquiry into FTX’s collapse, federal prosecutors are looking at the role that FTX and Alameda may have played in the…
- Spain’s central bank to experiment with wholesale CBDCsCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoThe Bank of Spain said the study can help determine to what extent it can adapt to the “needs and demands of an increasingly digital…
- US regulator to seek feedback on DeFi's impact on financial crimeCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoA “close look” is being taken at money laundering and terror financing laws by FinCEN as it asked banking sector players for feedback on DeFi’s…
- Australian CBDC receives unexpected interest but could hurt banks: RBACointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoThe pilot “eAUD” program is unique in that the Reserve Bank of Australia has not proposed use cases, and has received numerous suggestions from the…
- Telegram to allow no-sim accounts via anon-blockchain-numbersCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoTelegram has increased its security features by enabling support from anonymous blockchain-based numbers that go for around $16. Messaging app Telegram has rolled out a…
What is Dogecoin?
Dogecoin is a fun meme coin that was launched on December 6, 2013. The coin is a decentralized peer-to-peer currency that tried mimicking the popular Bitcoin, but in an an effort to surpass Bitcoin's popularity. Doge features a cartoon Japanese character Shiba Inu, that acts as the coin's mascot. The intention of this mascot is to show the fun part that this coin was intended to be.
Dogecoin's developer Billy Markus based this coin's code on Lucky coin, that is based on another coin called tecoin. Litecoin uses the scrypt technology in its proof-of-work consensus mechanism preventing dedicated Bitcoin miners from mining. It is for this reason that Dogecoin was at least originally effectively mined with ordinary PCs instead of the dedicated miners.
While it was introduced as a fun coin, Dogecoin's community has since grown by a lot. It is now mainly used to tip social media users who contribute great and interesting content on various platforms. Instead of simply liking their content, the contributors get rewards in form of Dogecoins. It is also frequently used for raising funds for charity events, eg. in the case of the construction of a well in the Tana river delta in Kenya.
Apart from Billy Markus, who came up with the original idea, another key individual in the coin's development is Jackson Palmer of Adobe Systems. It is Palmer who took over this project and propelled it to its current status.
Top 10 Cryptocurrencies
- 0,092668 €
- $ 0.096992